1. Number of Openings（募集人員）
Limited to a small number
2. Selection Process（選考方法）
- Application Screening (Research Plan)
- 2. Creativity Evaluation by (1) and (2)
Presentation + Q&A (about 15 min)
Portfolio: To present your previous activities and achievements in the related field.
(2)Works or Paper
Works: Bring 3 or more examples of your works.
Paper: Bring a paper (Bachelor’s thesis, Academic paper, Published paper, etc.) with a panel.
- Individual interview (about 15 min)
- Written test (English) 90min
The entrance examination will be held at Kobe Design University. All applicants will be notified of the specific time and place for the entrance examination in which applicants demonstrate visual awareness, technical skill and creativity.
Those who have non-Japanese nationality and meet any of the following criteria;
- Those who have received Master’s degree or professional degree from a university in Japan, or are expecting to receive it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have received a degree, which is equivalent to Master’s degree or professional degree in Japan, from a university outside Japan, or are expecting to receive it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed in Japan a distance education program provided by a school outside Japan and receive a degree which is equivalent to Master’s degree or professional degree in Japan, or are expecting to receive it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed an education program provided by a foreign school in Japan which is designated by MEXT as being equivalent to a graduate program in Japan, or are expecting to complete it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who are designated by MEXT.
- Those who have had a special permission for admission to a doctoral program of a university based on the judgement by Kobe DU of your qualification and are 24 years old or over.
- Those who have a certificate of N2 in JLPT (Japanese Proficiency Test) or have Japanese proficiency equivalent to N2.
※MEXT: Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Sciences and Technology.
Kobe DU: Kobe Design University
4. Application Documents（出願書類）
- Application Form
- Research Plan
- Outline of your Master’s thesis
- Paper ( if you submit a paper rather than work)
- 2 Recommendation letters from the professors who supervised you while you were in a bachelor course. It must be sealed and will be invalid if opened.
- Certificate of Completion or Expected Completion from the graduate school
- Official Undergraduate School Transcript
- Official Graduate School (Master’s degree course) Transcript
- Official Undergraduate School Transcript
- Official Graduate School (Master’s degree course)Transcript
- A return envelop
- Japanese Language Certificate
- Copy of Resident Record (issued by administrative institution in Japan) or copy of your passport (All pages)
- CV (It must be written in Japanese.)
Please contact us before you apply.
All the documents must be written in Japanese by applicants.
However, a letter of recommendation may be written in English or Japanese.
In case you cannot get a recommendation letter from the professor who supervised you in the undergraduate school because of passage of time, please contact us.
5. Schedule for the Procedures for the year 2017 （日程）
|Procedures||Schedule A||Schedule B||Schedule C|
|Application Period *||June/12/2017(Mon)~June/19/2017(Mon)||Sep/22/2017(Fri)~Sep/29/2017(Fri)||Jan/29/2018(Mon)~Feb/7/2018(Wed)|
|Entrance Examination And Interview||July/07/2017(Fri)||Oct/20/2017(Fri)||Feb/23/2018(Fri)|
|Notification of the Results||July/14/2017(Fri)||Oct/27/2017(Fri)||Mar/02/2018(Fri)|
|Registrations and Payment of Entrance Fee||July/17/2017(Mon)~July/26/2017(Wed)||Oct/30/2017(Mon)~Nov/07/2017(Tue)||Mar/05/2018(Mon)~Mar/13/2018(Tue)|
*Application materials must arrive within the application period.
- Examination fee is 30,000yen.
- Information relating to enrollment procedures will be sent to successful candidates.
- Applicants who are admitted to Kobe Design University must register and pay an entrance fee.
6. Annual Tuition Fee
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester||Total/Year|
(Only the first year)
|Educational Enhancement Fee||87,500||87,500||87,500||87,500||350,000|
*PTA fee (20,000yen) and Students Forum fee (20,000yen) are required when you enroll.
*The fees do not include personal expenses for travels, books or materials.
- Applicants residing outside Japan should contact the Admission Office regarding the admission procedure and information materials.
- Japanese language proficiency is essential. All application materials and examinations are in Japanese
- All lectures are taught in Japanese only.
- There are Japanese language classes for foreign students (at the undergraduate school) and a tutoring system by Japanese students is available.
- Kobe Design University has no dormitory but apartments dedicated for Kobe DU students are available for international students.
- The Academic year starts in April.
- This page only provides basic information. More details are available on our Japanese website.