1. Number of Openings（募集人員）
Limited to a small number
2. Selection Process（選考方法）
- Application Screening (Research Plan)
- Creativity Evaluation by (1) and (2)
Presentation + Q&A (about 15 min)
(1)Portfolio: To present your previous activities and achievements in the related field.
Works or Paper
Works: Bring 3 or more examples of your works.
Paper: Bring a paper (Bachelor’s thesis, Academic paper, Published paper, etc.) with a panel.
- Individual interview(about 15 min)
The entrance examination will be held at Kobe Design University. All applicants will be notified of the specific time and place for the entrance examination in which applicants demonstrate visual awareness, technical skill and creativity.
Those who have non-Japanese nationality and meet any of the following criteria;
- Those who have graduated from a university in Japan, or are expecting to graduate in March of the year of admission.
- Those who have received a bachelor degree from an institution, following the regulation in the School Education Act (Act No. 26of 1947) Article 68-2, paragraph 3, or are expecting to receive it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed 16 years of school education outside of Japan, or are expecting to complete before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed in japan distance education courses provided by a foreign school for 16 years, or are expecting to complete it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed education program provided by a foreign school in Japan which is designated by MEXT as being equivalent to a foreign university, or are expecting to complete it before the end of March of the year of admission.
- Those who have completed a specialized course at a specialized training college that is designated by MEXT.
- Those who are designated by MEXT
- Those who have had a special permission for admission to a graduate program of a university based on the judgement by KDU of your qualification and are 22 years old or over.
- Those who have a certificate of N2 in JLPT (Japanese Proficiency Test) or have Japanese proficiency equivalent to N2.
MEXT: Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Sciences and Technology.
KDU: Kobe Design University
4. Application Documents（出願書類）
- Application Form
- Research Plan
- Paper ( if you submit a paper rather than work)
- 2 Recommendation letters from the professors who supervised you while you were in a bachelor course. It must be sealed and will be invalid if opened.
- Certificate of Graduation or Expected Graduation from the undergraduate school
- Official Undergraduate School Transcript
- A return envelop
- Japanese Language Certificate
- Copy of Resident Record (issued by administrative institution in Japan) or copy of your passport (All pages)
- CV (It must be written in Japanese.)
Please contact us before you apply.
All the documents must be written in Japanese by applicants.
However, a letter of recommendation may be written in English or Japanese.
In case you cannot get a recommendation letter from the professor who supervised you in the undergraduate school because of passage of time, please contact us.
5. Schedule for the Procedures for the year 2018 （日程）
|Procedures||Schedule A||Schedule B||Schedule C|
|Application Period *||June/12/2017(Mon)~June/19/2017(Mon)||Sep/22/2017(Fri)~Sep/29/2017(Fri)||Jan/29/2018(Mon)~Feb/7/2018(Wed)|
|Entrance Examination And Interview||July/08/2017(Sat)||Oct/21/2017(Sat)||Feb/24/2018(Sat)|
|Notification of the Results||July/14/2017(Fri)||Oct/27/2017(Fri)||Mar/02/2018(Fri)|
|Registrations and Payment of Entrance Fee||July/17/2017(Mon)~July/26/2017(Wed)||Oct/30/2017(Mon)~Nov/07/2017(Tue)||Mar/05/2018(Mon)~Mar/13/2018(Tue)|
*Application items must arrive within the period.
- Examination fee is 30,000yen.
- Information relating to enrollment procedures will be sent to successful candidates.
- Applicants who are admitted to Kobe Design University must register and pay an entrance fee.
6. Annual Tuition Fee
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester||Total/Year|
(Only the first year)
|Educational Enhancement Fee||87,500||87,500||87,500||87,500||350,000|
*PTA fee (20,000yen) and Students Forum fee (20,000yen) are required when you enroll.
*The fees do not include personal expenses for travels, books or materials.
- Applicants residing outside Japan should contact the Admission Office regarding the admission procedure and information materials.
- Japanese language proficiency is essential. All application materials and examinations are in Japanese.
- All lectures are taught in Japanese only.
- There are Japanese language classes for foreign students and a tutoring system by Japanese students is available.
- Kobe Design University has no dormitory but apartments dedicated for Kobe DU students are available for international students.
- The Academic year starts in April.
Spring Semester (April-September)/Fall Semester (October-March)
- This page only provides basic information. More details are available on our Japanese website.