1. Enrollment Limit
Prior to the application, all applicants must contact one of our professors under whom they would like to study.
Persons who have been awarded a master’s degree by the National Institution for Academic Degrees and University Evaluation or who are expected to be awarded such a degree before being enrolled in the graduate school.
Applicants must be foreign nationals (except permanent resident in Japan) who have completed 16 years of education, or its equivalent, which is approved by the educational authority in their country.
3. Application Procedures
The following items must be submitted to the Admission Office, accompanied with the proof of payment of the entrance examination fee of 30,000 yen (see 7 Schedule).
Applicants residing in Japan
* Selection will be made on the basis of an applicant’s previous academic records, the results of the entrance examination and interviews by the members of the board.
- Completed Application form in Japanese
- Official graduation or prospective graduation certificate of the school last attended, or proof of qualifications to pursue postgraduate level education.
- Official academic transcript of the school last attended
- Official academic transcript of the university (undergraduate level)
- Recommendation letter written by the referee who knows the applicants well (e.g. your academic adviser) it’s not a mandatory
Letter in Japanese describing a) & b)
* a) plans and the way of your study
* b) your research experience
- Summary about master’s thesis or copy of it
- 4×3 cm size photo taken in the last 3 months
- Two self-addressed envelopes(with stamps)
- Proof of Japanese language proficiency
- Copy of passport or a letter of identification issued by the government
- Curriculum vitae in Japanese
Applicants residing outside Japan
* Following items must be submitted instead of 11-12 in this case.
- Curriculum vitae
- The report which shows you have studied or done in field of design (with the summary in English or Japanese) and/or your works (e.g. portfolio)
- Proof of Japanese language proficiency or recording tape that applicants speak about their study plan at Kobe Design University in Japanese.
The works and portfolio submitted would not be returned to the applicants.
* Applicants who are international students on Japanese government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) scholarship program must submit documents which show the amount of monthly allowance and the term of scholarship.
4. Selection Criteria
The entrance examination will be given at Kobe Design University. All applicants will be notified of the specific time and place for the entrance examination. All applicants will be notified of selection results by mail (see 7 Schedule).
It is required to report one portfolio work or three theses on the first test day.
5. Tuition and Fees for 2014
|First Semester||Second Semester||Total/Year|
These fees do not include the personal expenses for trips, books, and materials.
6. Entrance Procedures
- Information relating to entrance procedures will be sent to successful candidates.
- Applicants who are admitted to Kobe Design University must register and pay tuition and fees of 610,000 yen (see 7 Schedule).
7. Schedule for the year 2014 (Overseas Students)
|Eligibility Confirmation(terms of application)||07/01/2013 – 07/08/2013||01/05/2014 – 01/06/2014|
|Notification of Selection results||07/18/2013||01/30/2014|
|Terms of application procedures||08/27/2013 – 09/02/2013||02/10/2014 – 02/17/2014|
|Entrance Examination||Test *||09/13/2013||02/28/2014|
|Notification of Selection results||09/21/2013||03/07/2014|
|Registrations and Payment of Entrance Fee||09/24/2013 – 10/01/2013||03/10/2014 – 03/17/2014|
* Including English Test-
- All lectures are conducted in Japanese only.
- Applicants should contact us for further information regarding the application procedure.
- Academic year starts in April or October.